Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Whoopie Pies

Reading our most current issue of the Costco Connection magazine (“A lifestyle magazine for Costco Members” published by our big-box warehouse store), I saw a recipe titled Whoopie Pies. I liked the picture of the finished product and with a name like Whoopie Pies, I just had to make it. I knew that I had my nephew and his family coming in a few days and they would be glad to help eat up any extra whoopee pies so that my wife and I wouldn’t feel obligated to eat them.


On a recent trip to the store, I picked up the cheapest cake mix I could find: Betty Crocker Super Moist Dark Chocolate cake mix. I also found a small container (like a pint milk container) of pasteurized egg whites as called out in the recipe.

This recipe was very easy to make. I dumped the cake mix into the mixer bowl, added the melted butter, and the one egg. I mixed it for less than a minute and it clumped into a large thick mass. (I must say that if you ever want to make fake poo, this is the way to do it.)

I turned on the oven to heat to 350 degrees and started rolling out the dough into one-inch balls. I was able to fit twelve balls on a cookie sheet by leaving two-inches between the balls. I baked the first batch of cakes for twelve minutes, which seemed a little too long, as they were very brown on the bottom. I cooked the other batches for eleven minutes each. The recipe says to let the cakes cool for five minutes on the cookie sheet, but I found that I could lift them right off onto the wire cooling rack without a problem.

Once all the cakes were finished baking and cooling on the wire rack, I let them sit for at least thirty minutes until they were all room temperature.

The filling was also fun to make, I put the two-cups of powdered sugar in the mixing bowl with the 1/4-cup of vegetable shortening, three-tablespoons of the pasteurized egg whites, and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. I mixed this combination for about one minute until it was very smooth and creamy.

All that was left was to place about a tablespoon of the filling on each of the bottoms of half the cakes, and place the other half of the cakes on top to make a sandwich. I had some of the filling left over, I guess that I could have used more in each sandwich.  The article said it should make 18 whoopie pies, I only made 14 – maybe I made my dough balls too large.

When I ate my first pie, I was a little disappointed as the cakes were a little to dry, it tasted good, but it crumbled as I ate it. We put the remainder in a Tupperware container in the refrigerator to keep until eaten. I ate another whoope pie after dinner, it was much better. The filling had softened the cakes just a little bit and I really enjoyed that one.

This would be a fun recipe to make with children and I think they would really enjoy making the sandwiches out of the cakes and the filling.

Find the recipe here:  http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201005?pg=41#pg41

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment