Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

Broiled Salmon – Take Two

For dinner last night, we decided to change our normal chicken and beef routine and have some salmon.  On a recent trip to Costco for other food items, I purchased a bag of frozen wild Alaskan salmon (no added color from feed that’s bad for you).


I started by placing two cups of brown rice in our rice cooker with three cups of water and turning it on.  I thawed out four pieces of the salmon in cold water for about twenty minutes, and then placed them in a gallon Ziploc bag.  Into the bag of salmon, I added about a tablespoon of Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, which is a gluten free – low sodium replacement for soy sauce. 

I planned to serve lightly steamed asparagus, so I got out a bundle of very small and tender asparagus and I washed and trimmed the shoots.  When I was eleven years old, we lived in a suburb to the east of Yakima Washington, where we would walk about two blocks to a field where the asparagus grew wild.  We would cut as much as we wanted and take it home for dinner.  Now I have trouble growing one small plant in my back yard.

I turned on the oven to broil at 550 degrees and then after about five minutes, I removed the fish from the marinade and placed them skin side down in a broiler pan.  I placed the fish into the oven to broil for four minutes on each side.  While the fish was cooking, I turned on the pan for the asparagus, washed, and sliced some tomatoes for color.  When I turned the fish, I turned the broil setting down to 450 degrees as the salmon was cooking a little too fast.

After the eight minutes the fish was perfectly cooked; I broke one piece open to see that it was flakey and cooked all the way through.  I turned the salmon so it was again skin side down and quickly grated some parmesan cheese on the pieces.  The salmon want back into the oven and I watched as the cheese melted and slightly browned before I removed the salmon from the oven.

I served the salmon, rice, tomato, and asparagus.  For fun, I also grated some parmesan cheese on top of the asparagus to see how it would turn out.  We enjoyed our dinner, I found that most of the melted parmesan cheese came off the fish in the first bite like a spider’s web, but I was able to spread most of it back over the salmon.  The salmon had a nice flavor with a hint of the soy and salt from the Bragg’s liquid.  I didn’t think the parmesan cheese did much for the asparagus, but also did not distract from the taste.

I’m hoping for some better weather so I can take some of the recipes to the BBQ and write about some outdoor grilling, but I continue to watch the sun/rain/hail/wind/sun/rain as it hourly sweeps by our house while I hope for nice weather.

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment