Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hogs In a Sleeping Bag

Hogs In a Sleeping Bag, just the name makes me smile.  I saw this recipe on a Paula Deen program on the Food Network (yes, while exercising), and when I returned home, I printed the recipe so I would be prepared to make it.


This is a very fun and easy recipe, there are just two ingredients: sausage and pastry.  I used one package of the Hillshire turkey kielbasa and one roll of Pillsbury Crescent Seamless Sheet Dough.

I cut the sausage into six roughly equal pieces, then spread out the dough on my work surface.  I lightly rolled the dough to make it a little larger (that’s what Paula did on TV).  Then I cut the dough into six equal rectangles.

The next step is to roll each piece of sausage in a piece of the pastry dough.  I folded some of the edges over to make them look like unzipped sleeping bags.  After all my little hogs were wrapped up, I beat an egg and brushed it over the dough to help it brown.

Into the oven set at 400 degrees for about eighteen minutes and then out they came, nice and brown and ready to eat.  On the TV program, Paula had first boiled the sausage pieces to make sure they were warm in the middle, but we found that after cooking these little hogs were all nice and toasty hot in their sleeping bags.

We tried a couple of different mustards to see which was just right and we both settled on the basic French’s yellow mustard for this meal.  I really enjoyed making these little guys and it will be on my list for another time.  This is very easy to make and it would be a very fun meal for children of just about any age to help make.

Find the Recipe at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/hogs-in-a-sleeping-bag-recipe/index.html

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment