Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Grilled Cheese Please

For lunch I decided to make grilled cheese sandwiches in our new pan.  You may ask why I would write about plain old grilled cheese sandwiches.  It’s because of when I talked with the chef, he said if you have a surgical steel pan, you can make great grilled cheese sandwiches without using any margarine on the outside.  When the sandwich is cooked, you end up with a crisp, toasted outside and the soft cheese inside.

I got out the new pan and set it to head on the range top while I sliced some nice Tillamook medium cheddar cheese.  I got out some slices of Dave’s Killer Bread – Good Seed and placed the cheese in the middle.

I placed the plain bread (no margarine) into the pan and set the lid in place and cooked it for 2 or three minutes.  I flipped the sandwich and it looked great!  Replacing the lid, I cooked it for another 2 minutes.  Everything is going great.

When I lifted the sandwich from the pan, a small piece of cheese slipped out into the pan and started to sear.  I quickly removed as much of the cheese as I could, but the remaining cheese baked into a brown lump.  Hmmm, maybe I have the pan just a little too hot.

The one drawback to the multi-ply pans is that once they are hot, they stay hot for a long time.  I ran warm water into the pan and gradually decreased the temperature trying to cool off the pan so I could clean it.  Finally, after several minutes the pan was cool enough not to burn me as I cleaned it to get out the remaining cheese.

I checked my sandwich and it was a little dark brown on the bottom, but still edible.

I went back, tried again, this time with a little margarine on the bread, and turned out a great sandwich for my wife.

The next time I make grilled cheese; I will use the no margarine method again with lower heat.  It is nice having a the outside crisp instead of being soggy with margarine and it adds a nice texture to the grilled cheese sandwich.

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment