Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Friday, March 12, 2010

Chicken Cutlets with Almond Butter Sauce

Mmm, doesn’t just the name alone get your mouth watering?  Recently my mom sent me a subscription to Cuisine at home, and in the April 2010 issue, I saw this great looking chicken entree and decided to make it for dinner.  On one of my recent trips to the store, I picked up four chicken breasts hand selected by the butcher.

When it was time for dinner, I gathered all my ingredients and then unwrapped the chicken.  One at a time, I placed each breast in a large zip-lock bag and then beat it with a rolling pin to flatten it to the desired 1/ 2-inch thickness.  This was fine for the first two breasts, but the next two were huge!  The butcher must have selected the largest breast in his case because when I pounded them flat, each one just about covered the bottom of our 12-inch frying pan.

Once all the breasts were flattened, I dredged each one in flour.  There was no way that the recommended 2-tablespoons of flour would be enough for the dredging, and I ended up using almost two cups of flour.

I heated the large frying pan over medium-high heat and added a little olive oil then cooked each chicken breast for seven minutes per side.  When each one was cooked, I placed it in the warm oven in a glass-baking dish to stay warm.

The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of sliced almonds, and I though, no problem, I can slice them.  Wrong!  I did manage to get an approximation of sliced, but there were just as many chopped almonds.  In the end, they were just fine.  My wife said that next time I should just used pre-sliced almonds.

I added my “sliced’ almonds into the frying pan and browned them for a couple of minutes then added the 1/2-cup of white wine and deglazed the pan using my silicone spatula.  Simmering for three minutes, the wine and almond mixture started to thicken.

I added my 2-tablespoons of butter (the recipe calls for 4) to the pan, I stirred all the sauce ingredients over low heat until the butter was melted.  I added the 1/4-cup of green onions and stirred to mix the sauce.

It was time to serve, so I got out the red plates (white food), added some brown rice to the plate, put a portion of the chicken cutlet on each plate with some of the almond butter sauce on top.  I added some steamed peas and a little of the braised cabbage with carrots (more about that recipe in another post).

The result was a very colorful and tasty dinner.  The chicken was thoroughly cooked without getting dried out.  The sauce was a wonderful addition to both the chicken and the rice.  We just wish there was more sauce.  For our leftovers tonight, I will have to make more of the sauce.

This recipe (without the cabbage) will be added to ongoing our dinner menu.  Thank you to Cuisine At Home!

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment