Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cinnamon French Toast

What do you do with leftover whipped cream and a loaf of cinnamon twist bread?  Why make French toast of course!

While visiting our friends in Bend, I decided to make French toast with the loaf of cinnamon bread that we had picked up at a bakery during our trip.  When I went to the refrigerator to get the eggs, I saw the 1 1/2-cups of whipped cream that was left over from making the Lake Bled Cream Cake, and thought it would make a nice dairy medium for the eggs.

I grabbed the container of whipped cream, four eggs and set to work whisking them all together in a large bowl.  I would normally add a little vanilla extract into the batter (a lesson I learned from my friend David), but the whipped cream already had vanilla and sugar added from when it was whipped.  The next step I performed was to cut the cinnamon bread into 1/2-inch slices.

I found a large Teflon griddle and prepared to cook.  The first piece of bread that I dipped into the batter came out with a very frothy coating of egg/whipped cream mixture, it cooked just fine, but looked a little strange.  When I dipped the remainder of the pieces, they looked more traditional in their coating and the way they cooked.

This French toast cooked like any other French toast.  It had a creamer texture in the coating and the cinnamon from the bread mixed with the vanilla in the whipped cream provided a nice blend of flavors.

It was very easy to mix and cook and went well with the small pork sausages that our friend Dinah prepared.  The six of us enjoyed a wonderful breakfast.

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment