Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

Until I saw this chocolate chip cookie recipe, I always made the standard toll-house cookie recipe.  However, while I was waiting to get an oven back during the remodel, I came across "The Chewy" recipe in the Alton Brown Good Eats book on page 167.  This was one of several recipes that I marked to make once our kitchen was again operational.  We had the appliances installed about Thanksgiving and then I had a great time making cookies for Christmas (see post: My Favorite Cookies), and this recipe was one of many types of cookies that I made.

The only ingredient that I might have had to go purchase was the bread flour, but I even had some of that so I could make bread.  I did augment the recipe by adding additional chocolate chips, I also added about half a bag of the mini-chocolate chips just to make sure it was chocolaty enough.

Once I mixed all the ingredients, I used our Bakers Secret cookies sheets covered with parchment paper and set the oven to convection bake at 350 degrees.  I made sure that I measured out a large ball of dough when forming the cookies, Alton recommends 1 1/2 ounce portions.  I baked two cookies sheets at once and because I used convection bake mode, I didn’t need to rotate the cookies sheets half way through the bake time as Alton recommends.  The cookies baked for twelve minutes until done, and then I moved the cookies to a cooling rack.

As I was making quite a few cookies for Christmas, I placed these in a gallon Ziploc bag and popped them in the freezer.  My wife and I would take one (yes-just one) cookie out and eat it still frozen.  My wife has told me that this makes the best chocolate chip cookies and is now the only type of chocolate chip cookie that she ever wants me to make!

I wish I had taken some pictures to post, but at the time, I didn’t take any photos.  I may just have to make some more…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kerry,

    I found your blog while searching for chocolate chip cookies.

    I like Alton Brown and most of his recipes are to my liking. As for chocolate chip cookies, I find them too sweet so I usually use less chocolate chips and add some nuts. For me, chewy is the only way to go.

    Keep up the good blog!

    ReplyDelete