Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Trader Joe’s Meatless Corn Dogs

My wife and I had to make a quick overnight trip to Seattle last week and we were both very tired when we returned home.  I looked in the refrigerator and freezer for something quick to make and found a box of Trader Joe’s Meatless Corn Dogs.  My wife enjoys occasionally eating a corn dog, but not caring what goes into some hot dogs (Moo, Oink, Squeak), we prefer a vegetarian product.  We used to purchase Morningstar meatless corn dogs, until the parent company Kellogg’s removed them from the market several years ago.


About a month ago, we purchased the box of four Trader Joe’s corn dogs and when we got home, I placed the box in the freezer until sometime when we wanted a quick meal.  This was the time for a quick meal, so I removed the four corn dogs from the box and placed them on a microwavable plate.  Following the directions, I microwaved the corn dogs for four minutes, turning them after two minutes.

I served our corn dogs with some basic yellow mustard.  The corn dogs had a nice texture and the meatless “hot dog” inside made from soy, had a nice firm consistency, and looked just like a true hot dog.  We were a disappointed in the corn breading, because it was very dry.  It was almost necessary to have a glass of water close by to wash down the breading.  Even with the addition of the mustard, both my wife and I agreed that because they were so dry, we probably would not purchase these corn dogs again.

We will continue to look for the perfect meatless corn dog for nights when we want a very quick meal.  We also join with the many other disappointed consumers in requesting that Morningstar/Kellogg’s solve their supplier issues and reintroduce their line of tasty meatless corn dogs.

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I empathize with your comments. A while ago I stopped eating the TJ's corn dogs because I saw they have carmine in them. A beetle used for coloring. This is so goofy and whomever it is that thought this up should have been fired long ago. This could have changed but I doubt it. Perhaps we can help them...

    ReplyDelete