Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Bratwurst and Onions

When I am busy working on a project, I always look for a relative easy dinner to fix.  For this dinner, I had several fresh bratwurst sausages I picked up a few days before at our local store and 1/2 an onion remaining from making Bonnie’s Baked Beans.

I started outside by lighting the briquettes in our barbeque, then went inside and started boiling about four cups of water in a medium sized saucepan.  If I had some inexpensive beer, I would have used several cans instead of the water, but I had to use what was available.  I added the bratwurst to the boiling water and let them simmer covered for fifteen minutes.

I sliced the onions and tossed them with a small amount of Grape seed oil to keep them moist and prevent burning.  With the brats cooking and the onions ready, I went outside and found my barbeque grilling pan and gave it a good cleaning then put the oiled onions in the pan.  Everything was ready, so I cleaned the grill on the barbeque, added the grilling pan, put the brats on the grill, and closed the lid.

About this time, my wife returned from a friend’s house and she brought back a sweet onion.  Because there were two of us and ½ a smaller onion doesn’t go very far, I quickly sliced the new onion and added to the other onions already cooking in the barbeque.  I turned the brats about every five minutes while cooking for fifteen minutes.

A little Original Deli style Monastery Mustard for the brats, some raw carrots, and we were ready to eat.  We enjoyed our dinner of grilled bratwurst with sautéed onions from the grill.  The meal didn’t take much in the way of preparation or attention while cooking, which allowed me to complete my other project while cooking.  Sometimes it’s nice to have a simple, quick and tasty meal that allows you the time to do more pressing activities than cooking.

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment