Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Coleslaw

Happy Independence Day everyone!  My wife and I decided to claim our independence from making a large meal for dinner and instead to use some of the shredded pork shoulder in our refrigerator for dinner.  I looked at the article in the paper for Pulled Pork Sandwiches With Coleslaw and saw that we needed to pick up a head of green cabbage and some small hamburger (or slider) buns at the store while we were out running a few errands.


I prepared for the dinner by finely slicing a little more than half the head of cabbage.  I put the sliced cabbage in our salad spinner, gave it a rinse and then a spin dry.  I looked at the coleslaw recipe that was printed in the paper and I thought it would not have very much flavor, as it was just one tablespoon each of red vinegar with olive oil, a little salt, and pepper.  I decided to make a small batch of coleslaw with that recipe, but asked my wife to make a more traditional coleslaw dressing.

She found a few recipes, but in the end created her own dressing recipe: Cheryl’s Coleslaw

Ingredients:
   1/2 cup Miracle Whip
   1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
   1/2 teaspoon salt
   1/4 teaspoon pepper
   1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
   2 tablespoons milk
   1/4 teaspoon celery seed

To prepare this recipe, she whisked all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and stirred it into the shredded cabbage with some carrot strips (made with a peeler). 

We heated some of the pulled pork that I cooked a couple of day before with just a small amount of Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue sauce.  We place the small buns on our plate, added a serving of the pork and then added some of the coleslaw on top, then topped with the other half of the bun.

I tried both versions of the coleslaw on the pork and my wife’s was definitely better than the recipe in I made from the paper.  The crispness of the cabbage gave some body and definition to the soft bun and pork.  The spices in the Miracle Whip, vinegar, and mustard were a great combination to add with the barbecue sauce.

We have enough buns, coleslaw, and pork remaining to have for lunch tomorrow, I can’t wait!

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment