Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

Easy Roasted Pork Shoulder

Recently we attended a relative’s open house to see their finished home remodel. This was a potluck meal and I made artichoke nibbles to share. The hosts had prepared shredded pork shoulder and heated it for serving in a crock-pot. There were small slider buns available to make shredded pork sandwiches, which we all enjoyed.


I thought having the shredded pork was fortuitous, as I had just seen the Easy Roasted Pork Shoulder recipe in our daily paper the Oregonian’s weekly food insert. Fortunately, I saved that page, as I can no longer find a reference online. At Costco our super-mega-mart, I purchased one of the smaller bags of pork shoulder, took it home, and put it in the refrigerator.

This recipe is very easy as there are just 4 ingredients, pork shoulder, salt, pepper and 1 /2 cup of water. I spread newspaper on top of the countertop to catch any stray pork juice. I cut the bag containing the pork from the top and removed what I found was two pieces of pork inside and placed them in a roasting pan that I had coated with cooking spray. Cutting the bag from the top kept all the extra liquid inside and I only got one drop of stuff on the newspaper. Easy cleanup without contaminating the kitchen with raw pork juice.

Following the recipe, I placed the pork with the fat side up in the pan and using a sharp knife, I scored the fat in a diamond pattern trying to be careful not to cut into the meat. I sprinkled the top liberally with salt and pepper and added the water to the pan.

I heated the newly cleaned oven to 450 degrees and put the roasting pan with the pork on a lower rack to cook uncovered for 45 minutes. I noticed when I walked near the kitchen that there was a wonderful smell of cooking pork, but not a greasy smell. Once the time was up, I removed the roasting pan, turned the oven to 350 degrees, and covered the roasting pan with aluminum foil and placed the pork back in the oven for 4 hours to bake until the meat was tender.

After the four hours were up, I moved the roasting pan to the top of the stove and removed the foil. When I tested it with a fork, the meat just flaked apart. I removed as much of the fat from the meat as I could. I found that to keep the pieces of pork to a reasonable size, I cut the two pork pieces in half across the grain. I started removing pieces of the pork with a fork and transferring it to a large metal bowl. There I used two forks to shred the pork into bite-sized pieces. It took me about half an hour, but that was ok as I was enjoying listening to a book on tape: This Just In: What I Couldn't Tell You On T.V. by Bob Schieffer. Though right then he was discussing Bill Clinton and the Starr report – Ugh.

We had hot shredded pork for dinner, I mixed mine with a little Sweet Baby Ray’s barbeque sauce, and my wife had hers plain. This is an easy recipe to make and it tastes great. The article in the paper had a few recipes for using the shredded pork: Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Coleslaw, Pork Shoulder Ragu, and Pulled Pork Tacos. We still have a very large bowl of shredded pork and I may try some of these recipes.

The recipe in the paper said the pork can be stored for three days in the refrigerator, or up to 3 months in the freezer. We will eat some in the next few days, and I will vacuum seal the remainder into two quart sized bags and freeze it until needed.

If you like shredded pork, this is a great and inexpensive way to make your own.

If you would like the recipes from the paper, email me and I will send you a copy.

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment