Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Traveling – Seattle, Washington – Ivar’s Salmon House

The day after our anniversary, we met our son and his wife at their apartment in North Seattle so we could go out to lunch together.  Our son mentioned that while out riding his bicycle around Lake Union in Seattle, he could smell alder smoke and figured out it came from an Ivar’s restaurant situated on the edge of the lake.


If you live in the Seattle area, you have probably heard of Ivar’s seafood restaurants.  Ivar’s has been a Seattle landmark for many years offering tasty fish and chips from stands along the various waterfronts.  I can still sing part of the Ivar’s song from when I lived in the Seattle area in the 1970’s, and the Ivar’s catch phrase: “Keep Clam”.

We drove to the restaurant, found a place to park and went in, I was surprised to see that it was Ivar’s Salmon house.  I had never been there before because I felt that it would be too expensive, but this was still our anniversary trip, so what the heck.

Ivar’s Salmon House is decorated like a West Coast Native American long house.  Everything is cedar planking with large Indian graphics painted on the walls.  The seating looks out over Lake Union towards the downtown Seattle skyline and the Seattle Space Needle.

I was surprised that the lunch menu was actually reasonably priced and the entrees were comparable to other restaurant chains.  Both my wife and I decide to order the Coho salmon with Portobello mushrooms and asparagus.  Our son and his wife had fish and chips and a bowl of the house salmon chowder.

When our lunch arrived, I quickly took some photos and then started eating.  The salmon had been cooked over the alder flame, so it had a nice alder flavor added to the fish.  There was light sauce on the asparagus and mushrooms that had a smoky flavor with limejuice and a little sweetener to round out the flavor.

The entire meal was very refreshing and enjoyable.  Good food, great company and a wonderful view, what more could I ask for.  Keep Clam!

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment