Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

Sautéed Chicken Thighs with Soy Glaze

This is the first recipe that I made from my new How To Cook Everything cookbook. After I read the introduction and techniques sections, I found a recipe to try. As I had some fresh chicken thighs in the refrigerator, I found the perfect recipe: Sautéed Chicken Thighs with Soy Glaze is on page 397 in the poultry section.

The recipe gives two options; marinating for two or more hours or just cook the chicken. As it was later when I started dinner, I passed on the marinating step and went right to cooking. I mixed the sauce as specified in the cookbook: 1/2-cup soy sauce, 1/3-cup plus two-tablespoons water, two-tablespoons honey, and 1/2-teaspoon ground ginger.

I really like the cookbook as it lists the primary ingredient (which you may not have in your pantry) and then lists a suitable replacement: 1/4-cup mirin (sweet rice wine) or two-tablespoons honey plus two-tablespoons water. I didn’t have the mirin on hand or any fresh ginger root, so the provided substitutions were very handy.

I prepared the one-pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs by drying them with paper towels, and then I cut the chicken thighs into about one-inch cubes. I gave the chicken pieces a very light sprinkle of salt and pepper and set them aside. I heated my large non-stick pan for several minutes on medium-high then added about a tablespoon of grape seed oil. Once the oil heated, I added the chicken thighs pieces into the pan to cook for about eight minutes while occasionally stirring.

When the chicken pieces were brown, I removed them from the pan reduced the heat to medium and poured the soy mixture into the pan to heat. Once it simmered for several minutes, I added the chicken pieces back into the pan to heat.

At this point, I though the dish looked wimpy, so I grabbed four of the larger mushrooms (mini portabella), cut them into chunks, and tossed them in to the pan with the chicken to heat. After a couple of minutes, everything was ready to eat.

I served the chicken thighs with mushrooms over brown rice with some raw carrot sticks on the side. We enjoyed the meal, but thought there was a little too much salt from the soy sauce. Next time I will only add 1/3-cup of soy sauce, then a splash of white wine to make up the difference in the liquid content. The mushrooms made a great addition to the meal and next time I may add a few more items to the mix: bamboo shoots, mini-corn, peppers are all potential additions.

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment