Help me by sharing this blog with your friends and by generating some income for me by clicking through on my sponsor's Google ads. Thank you!

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Braised Chicken Thighs with Button Mushrooms

A few nights ago, we hosted some friends visiting from Hawaii and for dinner I made Love Your Wife Chicken.  We had a great time and they enjoyed the meal.  When I was shopping for the meal, I tried to find skinless chicken thighs without any luck.  Finally, at Safeway, I managed to find fresh chicken thighs with the bone and skin, so I purchased them.  After making the dinner for our friends, I had another seven thighs left over so I decided to use them in a new recipe.

As a side note, our friends brought us a package of Hershey’s Kisses that contained Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts that they had purchased in Hawaii at Costco.  They are very good and we are enjoying them, but a quick look at the Hershey’s web site doesn’t mention them.

I searched the internet and found several recipes that sounded like good potentials because I had almost all the ingredients without making a trip to the store.  I decided on an Emeril Lagasse recipe I found on the Food Network web site called: Braised Chicken Thighs with Button Mushrooms.

I also had one half a recipe of unbaked Chocolate Lava Muffins left over in the refrigerator.  As this was so much food, we decided to have our neighbors over for dinner.  A quick call confirmed their coming for dinner and they would bring the wine.

I found that this recipe is very similar to the Love Your Wife chicken recipe and I thought this would assist in the preparation of the dish.  This recipe uses a specific Emeril ESSENCE seasoning which makes it different, but the basic concept is the same.  I prepared for cooking by mixing all the spices for the Essence spice mix.  I added less than one-half of the cayenne pepper and we didn’t have any onion powder so I skipped that spice.

As I was measuring out the spices, I used the last of our garlic powder, so when I finished combining the spices, I poured the completed Essence mixture into the old garlic powder bottle, relabeled the container and now I have it ready for future use.

Before I could start, I had to open the box on our new 13-piece Kirkland stainless steel cookware and get out the 3.5-quart covered sauté pan.  I washed the new pan in warm soapy water with a little white vinegar (to cut any production oils on the pan), and then I was ready to cook.

I placed the pan on medium-high heat and then took my chicken thighs from the refrigerator and sprinkled a little of the Essence mixture on each piece.  Once the pan was hot, I added about a tablespoon of our new grape seed oil to the pan to heat.  I place all the chicken thighs skin side down in the pan to braise for four minutes.  I covered the pan to keep the range top clean from splattering oil, but to keep the chicken from steaming, I left the lid slightly askew to let out the steam.


After four minutes, I flipped the thighs over to braise the other side for four minutes.  When the chicken was braised, I removed the pieces from the pan and set them aside for later.  Into the pan I added about three cups of sliced brown mushrooms that I had picked up at Costco and used in the Love Your Wife Chicken recipe.  I sautéed the mushrooms with two tablespoons of butter for five minutes while stirring about once a minute.


To the mushroom, I added one large white onion chopped into half inch pieces and about a tablespoon of minced garlic to cook for another four minutes.  Next I sprinkled the two tablespoons of flour into the pan and stirred constantly for five minutes to make a roux, and I guess it did…

Almost done!  Into the pan I added two tablespoons of tomato paste and two cups of chicken stock.  The recipe called for two tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary leaves.  I didn’t have any rosemary fresh or dried, so I skipped that ingredient.  We also had some bread from Costco that contained rosemary, so we really didn’t need competing flavors on our plate.  I brought the contents of the pan to a boil, then turned the heat down to simmer.

Into the pan I placed the cooked chicken thighs skin side down and then covered to simmer for sixty minutes.  I checked the time and it was 6:15 and our neighbors are to come at 6:30 to eat.  That’s not going to work!  Fortunately, our guests were a few minutes late and didn’t mind chatting while the chicken finished cooking.

After thirty minutes, I turned the chicken over to make sure it cooked evenly, covered and cooked for another twenty minutes.  By this time my wife and prepared a wonderful green salad with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and colorful peppers.

We sat down to a dinner of braised chicken thighs over brown rice with salad and rosemary bread.  Our neighbors had a nice bottle of Gewurztraminer from Fetzer vineyards that we enjoyed before and during dinner.

For dessert, I quickly baked chocolate lava muffins that we served with some ice cream and a little whipped cream.  I have made the lava muffins several times, but I realized today, that I have not taken any pictures to put in a blog article.

We concluded our meal with some chilled Vin Glace from the King Estates, which is a very sweet dessert wine.

Everyone liked the braised chicken thighs; the meat was very moist and tender.  Though I felt the recipe was some how lacking in flavor.  I did leave out the rosemary (because I didn’t have any) and that could have added some additional flavor.  I am very glad that I cut the amount of cayenne pepper in half, even then, I could feel the heat in my mouth for quite awhile after dinner.

My wife and I agreed that this is a good recipe, but we both liked the Love Your Wife Chicken better!

Adventures In Food: Author: Kerry Howell

No comments:

Post a Comment